About The Tax Alliance
The Tax Alliance for Economic Mobility, chaired by Prosperity Now, convenes racial justice advocates, asset-building advocates, tax reform experts, and researchers to identify near- and longer-term policy priorities to expand savings and investment opportunities for low-income households through reforms of the U.S. tax code. As a coalition, the Tax Alliance supports tax policies that embody the following principles:
- Significantly increases benefits for lower-income households and households of color.
- Significantly and sustainably impact the economic mobility of lower-income households and households of color.
- Maximizes access to benefits for low-income households, through automatic enrollment features, low costs and other policy features.
- Enabling low-income households to easily understand the impact of tax policies on their families, while also allowing these households, researchers and advocates the ability to measure and track outcomes over time.
Having agreed on number of specific policy principles and priorities, members of the Tax Alliance work to educate and engage their respective networks about why inclusive, progressive, and equitable tax policies are crucial to the long-term security of families, communities, and the national economy.
Tax Alliance for Economic Mobility is led by a Steering Committee made up of representatives from several member organizations, including the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, First Focus, the National Urban League, the National Women’s Law Center, PolicyLink, RESULTS, and United Way Worldwide. As part of its responsibilities, the Steering Committee develops the strategic vision for coalition, organizes quarterly in-person meetings, and provides political and policy guidance to the overall coalition.
The policy work of the Tax Alliance is led by three specialized working groups, each made up of at least six organizational members, including the chair of the alliance, focusing on the following issues:
- Advocacy and Strategic Communications
- Homeownership and Housing
- Tax Credits for Low-Income Households